PREVIOUSLY SOLD GALLERY ~ PAGE 5
Here are examples of stock we have previously sold through this site. Below is a Campaign Writing Slope, an Avar Sword and a Travelling Pistol by Rigby of Dublin.
A GOOD NEW LAND PATTERN FLINTLOCK PISTOL
A good New Land Pattern Flintlock Pistol, circa 1800. 9" regulation bore proofed barrel. Flat border engraved lock engraved with a Crown and marked Tower with contractors initials of RW, Robert Wheeler. Flat border engraved ring necked cock, semi waterproof pan. Walnut fullstock with various markings. Regulation brass mounts. Swivel ramrod.
Stock is very good with a well executed old inset repair during working life between triggerguard and ramrod. Iron furniture and barrel with minor pitting. Brass mounts in very good condition.
A NAMED VICTORIAN OFFICERS MILITARY CAMPAIGN WRITING SLOPE WITH PIG STICKING TROPHY AMONGST CONTENTS
A late Victorian Officers Brass Bound Military Campaign Writing Slope, circa 1885. Good quality solid mahogany folding writing slope with brass corner straps. Rectangular escutcheon to top of slope with initials and name: C C Pearson. Original baize lined base. Brass plated lifting handles to each side with a side drawer accessed by opening slope and removing drawer retaining pin. Original ink bottles, original leather skiver, original lock with key and brass/plated furniture. Side drawer contains original items of owner - a black and white photograph in his uniform with medal, a tie with a length of matching ribbon (I would have said medal ribbon but probably related to regimental colours rather than a medal), an ivory letter opener, slope key, typed brief service record and finally a pair of mounted wild boar tusks. Size of slope is 15 inches long, 9 inches wide, 6 inches depth. Campaign slope all original and good condition except for leather skiver cracked and split at folds. Ivory letter opener tip damaged.
The ivory letter opener (pre CITES) is engraved CCP on one side and on the other side is handwritten in ink with details of his unit and various postings/detachments from 1876 including Stubbington, Sandhurst, Bangalore, Dalhousie, Mamund , Bara Valley, Kyber and Ferozepur amongst others. The wild boar tusks are an engraved silver mounted pig sticking trophy with inscription : Speared 19th May /95, Ch. C B P "Rufus". Pig sticking was highly popular with British Officers in India at the time of Pearsons postings. Pearson was the pig sticker who accounted for the pig as the award of its tusks as his initials on the mount proves. Whether the nickname of Rufus was him or the pig is not known!
Charles Coffin Pearson was born on 28 March 1867, son of Lieutenant General Sir Charles Knight Pearson KCMG CB, one of the more successful British Generals in the Zulu Wars who was also present at the Siege of Sevastopol and was mentioned in despatches no less than 11 times. After graduating at Sandhurst, Charles Coffin Pearson was appointed 2nd Lieutenant in the 52nd Oxfordshire Light Infantry on 14 September 1887 with subsequent promotions of Lieutenant 2 June 1891, Captain 5 June 1897, Major 10 July 1907.
He served in the 1897-98 Mohmand Campaign and the Tirah Expeditionary Force for which he was awarded the campaign medal and 2 clasps. The 52nd were in the 2nd Brigade along with the 9th Gurkha Rifles in the Mamund Valley supporting a small force of cavalry including a certain 2nd Lt Winston Churchill who wrote his first non fiction book on the campaign in 1898, The Story of the Malakand Field Force: An Episode of Frontier War. Pearson retired on 14 September 1907 but re-joined for the Great War in 1914 as Adjutant for the Ox and Bucks Light Infantry.
So many of these military slopes have disappeared out of the direct family of the owner over the years. However, we should be grateful for these surviving items coming onto the market with a story to tell.
A FINE NET ROPE FLASK BY G & J. W. HAWKSLEY, RILING 411
A Fine Net Rope Flask by G & J. W. Hawksley, with corded rope design, petals embossed at the base and petal form at the throat. Nice patina with remnants of original colour and lacquer, the charger nozzle stamped ‘G & J. W. Hawksley' with adjustable nozzle marked 2 1/4, 2 1/2, 2 3/4 Drams. Riling no 411. Fine condition , no seam separation, a few very minor pinprick size dents, working charger and spring. Height 8", width 3 1/4".
BROWN BESS MUSKET PATTERN 1793 (INDIA PATTERN TYPE 2) WITH REGIMENTAL MARKINGS
A good original and rare variation of the Pattern 1793 (India Pattern Type 2) Flintlock Brown Bess with Regulation and Swedish Inspection markings. 39” sighted barrel of.75" bore with King’s Proofs. Stock with Swedish Government regimental unit mark of 4) M1293. Matching marks to barrel, stock and butt cap. Border engraved lock plate, engraved ‘Tower’ on the tail and Crown ‘GR’ with Ordnance Inspector’s crown mark and arrow below the pan. India Pattern Type 2 post 1809 throat hole cock, regulation India Pattern brass furniture comprising butt plate, trigger guard, side plate and 3 ramrod pipes, fore-end cap, swivels and period replacement iron ramrod.
This is part of a consignment of muskets supplied to Sweden after 1809 to assist them during their war with Denmark. It is probable that part of the consignment was made up of parts available at the Tower and shipped to Sweden where they were stocked locally. The stock markings etc match the barrel and other furniture so the stock is period. A rare Brown Bess variant.
Very good lock and barrel with much original finish. Stock has handling marks and an old split repair forward of the sideplate but good honest condition. Original trigger guard has old split in brass but is tight in place. All other original regulation furniture in good condition. Matching overall patina.
FINE LATE 17TH/EARLY 18TH CENTURY SILVER MOUNTED SCOTTISH DIRK
From a collection of Scottish Dirks that included a dated dirk illustrated in James Drummond’s series of watercolours: “Ancient Scottish Weapons” is this good quality late 17th/ early 18th century silver topped dirk with a bog oak grip. This grip has a rich, dark patina with the early four bands style of Celtic interlace ropework carving similar to the example in the Royal Museum of Scotland, item 8 page, 10 of "The Scottish Dirk" by James Forman (that illustrated dirk is dated late 17th century). The final band of carving with haunches evolved from the earlier type of balloch knife. The underside of the pommel is decorated with ten folded rope ribs and the silver top disc/pommel cap is fixed onto the grip by a similar number of silver claws. The tang is secured by a silver mount around the iron button. The 11.5" blade is a cut down sword blade. Overall length 15".
A very rare variant with the silver pommel top disc of this early type of dirk.
A REGULATION FLINTLOCK BROWN BESS MUSKET PATTERN 1793 (INDIA PATTERN TYPE 2)
A Pattern 1793 Flintlock Brown Bess Musket (India Pattern Type 2), Circa 1810. 39" barrel , .75" bore, stamped with Kings Proof marks and inspectors/makers initials of TL towards the breech. Number 609 stamped on left side of barrel. Smooth grey patina to barrel. Regulation working lock, all original, engraved TOWER with Crown over GR and Ordnance Inspectors mark of crown over arrow..India Pattern type 2, post 1809 throat hole flint cock. All correct regulation brass furniture with three ramrod pipes and brass fore end cap. Original iron ramrod. Sling swivels fitted. Regulation full stock cleaned and oiled with spliced repaired fore end - probably in period. Overall length 55". Cleaned but very pleasing overall patina.
7TH-9TH CENTURY AVAR STRAIGHT EDGED SABRE/SWORD
The sabre is 35.5" overall with a 29.5" straight single edged blade. The final 6" point of the blade is double edged. The crossguard appears to be made of cast bronze with short straight conical quillons. The Tang is slightly curved ending in a hollow cast bronze pommel which is typical of known Avar weapons from the period. Avar weapons with a single straight cutting edge are sometimes known as proto-sabres as the majority of this type are believed to slightly pre date the earliest curved sabres that they inspired.
This sabre is part of a cache of weapons which were found approximately 20 years ago in the Caucasus region, part of what was historically Avar/Magyar territory. The finest example from the cache was sold to the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York by a famous London based dealer (Arms and Armor Notable Acquisitions 1991-2002 The Metropolitan Museum of Art Item 40). The most famous sword of this type is the Sword of Charlemagne (Weltliche Schatzkammer, Vienna) which is believed to be of Avar origin and likely dates to the 8th century. During Charlemagne's eastern campaigns his forces are known to have taken examples of Avar weapons back to Western Europe where they were then used as diplomatic gifts. An example of such gift giving can be found in the Frankish Royal Annals which show that Charlemagne once presented an Avar sword to King Offa of the Anglo-Saxons.
The Sabre is in uncleaned excavated condition.The blade has an even unrestored patina with only minor chips to the cutting edge. The pommel and crossguard are complete but the grip has not survived.
A FINE QUALITY RIGBY PERCUSSION 30 BORE TRAVELLING PISTOL WITH SWIVEL RAMROD AND MAGAZINE TRAP BUTT CIRCA 1843
A fine quality Irish percussion 30 bore travelling pistol by W & J Rigby of Dublin made circa 1843.. Heavy damascus twist barrel and rib signed Dublin on top flat with Irish Firearms Act of 1843 Registration mark. Captive swivel ramrod. Figured walnut finely chequered stock with vacant silver escutcheon under butt. Finely engraved action signed W & J Rigby with platinum breech plug. The Rigby action has the usual three bents. Steel shoulderstrap lifts by means of a latch to reveal a magazine containing two balls and percussion caps. Measures 6.25" overall.
A nearly identical example of this pistol is illustrated in ‘Great Irish Gunmakers, Messrs RIGBY, 1760-1869‘ by D.H.L Back, Page 99, Plate 35.
Sleeper in very good condition. Mechanically sound. Minor stock chequering wear but no stock shrinkage.
CAVALRY/LANCERS PATTERN PERCUSSION PISTOL BY EDWARD BOND MARKED TO THE NATIVE STATE OF BARODA, CIRCA 1862.
A very good quality Cavalry/Lancers pattern percussion pistol made by Edward P Bond circa 1862. Closest in shape and style to the 1858 Pattern Cavalry pistol, this private contract pistol was made by Edward P Bond for use by an officer of Sepoy/Native Cavalry in Baroda - probably the Baroda Residency due to the quality of the item. 15 ½” overall, 9 1/8” round, .65 carbine smoothbore barrel with London proofs and further markings of HOOPER SQUARE, LONDON on top of barrel and inspectors marks linking the barrel and tang as well as N.S. over BDA within an oval. Additionally, there is a triangular mark overlaying the part of the address. New Series type flat border line engraved lock plate, signed EDW.D P. BOND. Excellent quality lock internals. Rounded border engraved hammer. Walnut fullstock with captive swivel rammer, regulation type mounts, comprising butt cap with lanyard ring, brass trigger guard, flat fore end cap, ramrod pipe and single sidenail with brass cup. Engraved brass plate to side with initials which could be the officers initials or the unit initials. Further research required.
This is a rare item for the collector of EIC and similar pistols as I have only seen the NS and BDA markings before on 1853 pattern cavalry swords. Condition is excellent, consistent patina and traces of original finish, strong markings and very good stock with minimal handling marks.
Edward Philip Bond is noted in Blackmore, Gunmakers of London 1350-1850, as Contractor to Ordnance 1856 and East India Company 1844-1853. He is recorded at Hooper Square 1862-1870.
Baroda was an Indian princely state, ruled by the Gaekwad dynasty from its formation in 1721. Following the Second Anglo-Maratha War of 1803–1805, the Gaekwads of Baroda made peace with the British, entering into a subsidiary alliance which acknowledged British suzerainty and control of the state's external affairs in return for retaining internal autonomy. A wealthy state due to the lucrative cotton trade as well as rice, wheat and sugar, it was one of the largest and richest of the hundreds of princely states existing alongside British India.
RARE 17TH/18TH CENTURY SCRIMSHAW POWDER HORN FLASK DECORATED WITH MASONIC SYMBOLS AND IMAGES
Rare 17th/18th Century Scrimshaw Powder Horn Flask decorated with scrimshaw work in the form of Masonic symbols and images as per photographs. Overall 9" long with wooden stopper and two iron loops. Worn and dark in places but overall scrimshaw work in good order apart from one area of damage approximately 1/2 inch in diameter. Wooden stopper could be a replacement but has some age. Overall flask (except small damaged area) has a coating of what looks like a shellac varnish to protect the scrimshaw.
A rare subject for a scrimshaw flask. The flask comes from a highly trusted source.
Flintlock officers pistol by Wogdon needing extensive restoration including replacing the missing lock - lock was 4.25” long (the Wogdon lock kit sold by E J Blackley & Son would be ideal). 25 bore 9.7” round barrel with top flat, London proofs to underside along with barrel makers mark of RW. Old drum and nipple conversion needs removal and area around drum will need re-profiling. Definitely an old Wogdon barrel as the RW is exactly right. Ramrod is an old replacement. Wogdon marked lock was removed and use for internal spare parts by previous owner. This not a restoration for the feint hearted! Would also be useful for spare parts - trigger guard, trigger assembly, tang, butt cap and side nail cups. Overall length 15”.
RARE BURMESE DHA COMBINATION PERCUSSION PISTOL AND SWORD CIRCA 1855
A rare combination weapon, this is a Burmese Dha combination pistol and sword. 30 bore barrel, 9.25 “ long, smoothbore with two brass band decorative rings gives the appearance of a pistol carbine but it conceals a 15.5” long sword which fits into the stock and is joined to the barrel. To remove the sword, the percussion hammer has to be cocked then the barrel lifts upwards and forwards, with the barrel then used as the handle of the sword/saber. The working percussion lock is identical to the FROST collection example and is struck with a clear inscription and makers mark. The wooden stock is in good condition and has decorative engraved brass sheathing with further brass panels along top and bottom of stock, nearly identical again to the FROST example. All original brass furniture including two sling swivels, ramrod pipe, fore end cap, sideplate and triggerguard. Ramrod is missing but these are a simple steel rod with flared end. Overall length 26.5”.
Only a handful of these Burmese Combination Dha appear to have survived. Apart from the ex Frost collection example in his book, there is a plainer example in the William Fagan Ltd collection, a further one illustrated on pinterest and another that went through auction in California in 1998.
BLADES AND BARRELS, Six Centuries of Combination Weapons, by H. GORDON FROST, pages 136-138, plates 217 and 218 shows the near identical example of this rare Burmese combination pistol and sword.
A RARE EARLY SERIAL NUMBER 80 BORE KERR'S PATENT 5 SHOT SINGLE ACTION REVOLVER
A very early 80 Bore Kerr's Patent 5 shot Single Action Revolver circa 1859 marked to the 1st Sussex Artilllery Volunteers. 5.5 in. (14cm) blued octagonal sighted barrel with five groove rifling. Blued grooved top strap, border engraved blued frame marked 'KERR'S PATENT NO 46' with London proof marks. Strong traces of original blueing and case hardening to barrel/frame with crisp edges. Matching serial numbered cylinder with London proof marks - some traces of original finish and some staining where pistol has been left in a case. Border engraved back action lock signed 'LONDON ARMOURY. BERMONDSEY'. Plain trigger-guard with border engraved butt cap engraved - 1st SUSSEX ARTILLLERY VOLUNTEERS No 4. Rammer with locking catch. Grips are original with some handling marks but virtually no shrinkage. One of the earliest known Kerr's revolvers and a very early number for the Sussex Artillery Volunteers batch. Pistol would grade up with careful cleaning as strong traces of bluing remain under the patina. A very original and early Kerr’s revolver.
This revolver incorporates British Patent no. 2896 of 17th December 1858 and 242 of 26th January 1859. The butt shape appears to be unique to the first 100 or so revolvers.
This is one of the earliest Kerr's revolvers. It was previously thought that the earliest cased example was in the Val Forgett collection sold through Rock Island Auctions in 2007. However, the oldest genuinely cased Kerrs with matching armorial on case and 80 bore revolver is serial number 42 which was made for Admiral Sir Alexander Milne who was Commander in Chief North America and West Indies Station during the American Civil War.
It is clear from various articles and opinions on the early Kerrs revolvers and the Sussex Artillery that there are as many opinions as there are variations in Kerrs revolvers. For example, one article states that the 100 issued to the Sussex Artillery were in .44 calibre (54 bore) with serial numbers in the range 87-187. That is clearly wrong but the article was probably based upon a Sussex Artillery marked 54 bore Kerrs with a serial number in that range. Another online reference from a highly knowledgeable and respected collector recalls a Sussex Artillery marked Kerrs serial number 123 but in .36 calibre (100 bore). It is now clear that the 100 issued to the Sussex Artillery were not consecutively numbered and were made in 54, 80 and 100 bore variants. See previously sold examples in our database for other Sussex Artillery Volunteers examples,
During the 1860's, Shoreham Fort was garrisoned by the 1st Sussex Volunteer Artillery of Eastern Division, Royal Artillery, whose headquarters were in Brighton. They were formed just before 1860 as Rifle Volunteers from the local rifle clubs and were joined by artillery volunteers following the invasion scare of Napoleon III. The Sussex Volunteer Artillery was considered to be the cream of Volunteer Artillery units and in 1865 at the Shoeburyness National Artillery Meeting it won the Queen’s Prize and the Lord Palmeston Prize for accurate shooting.
AN H.W. MORTIMER FLINTLOCK DUELLING PISTOL CIRCA 1790 FOR RESTORATION WITH GOLD FILLED PAN AND TOUCH HOLE
H.W. Mortimer half stocked flintlock 25 bore duelling pistol circa 1790-1800 with 9.5" octagonal barrel, gold touch hole, high quality detented lock (working action and excellent internal mechanism) with deep filled gold pan and sliding safety, walnut stock with typical Mortimer cared butt and silver fore end, iron furniture with traces of engraving. The whole pistol needs work - barrel needs engraving/signing/browning, triggerguard refreshing, lock cleaning and replacing parts as necessary and extensive work to stock. Will be a quality item when properly restored. The lock is worth more than half the asking price!
Please note that in order to see all the photos of this item you should click the '+ Show More' link under the initial batch of photos.
FLINTLOCK BRONZE FRAME BOXLOCK 50 BORE POCKET PISTOL BY TWIGG OF LONDON
A good quality Georgian flintlock boxlock 50 bore pocket pistol by Twigg of London. Engraved bronze frame lock with flags/arms on either side around an oval signed TWIGG and LONDON. Sliding safety, line engraved flintcock and sprung frizzen. Steel triggerguard engraved with starburst. Excellent strong action. 1.75" turn off steel barrel with proof mark. Frame with matching proof marks under. Walnut slab sided stock. Handling marks to stock and marks to barrel but all original including top jaw and screw which are often replacements. Overall length 6.35".
AN EXCELLENT SCISSORS TYPE BROWN BESS BULLET MOULD .75 CALIBRE
AN 18-BORE FLINTLOCK DOUBLE BARRELLED SPORTING GUN FOR RESTORATION by RIVIERE of LONDON, SERIAL no.40
Circa 1809, with 25 3/4in. damascus barrels (muzzles dented), the top-rib signed in gold 'RIVIERE LONDON', silver fore-sight, starburst engraving to Manton style inset breech, twin platinum lines and touch-holes, engraved top-tang with sunken sighting channel, flat curved bevel-edged border engraved stepped lockplates signed 'RIVIERE' and each numbered 40 to top edge, rain-proof pans, border engraved roller frizzens. Lockplates in excellent condition, internals complete on one lock, both flintcocks missing but suitable replacements supplied for engraving and fitting (no top jaws/screws), tumbler missing on other lock with possible other internal faults. Walnut half-stock chequered at the wrist, (broken through with an old plate repair), silver barrel bolt escutcheons, iron furniture (worn), carved pineapple finial and ramrod pipe (ramrod missing), handling marks throughout, minor wood loss to rear of one lock - see photographs.
Isaac 2 son of Isaac (1) born 1781, Gunmaker, 121 Oxford Street., 1809-17; 315 Oxford Street., 1818-51; 28 Piccadilly, 1822-9. Granted English Patent No. 5175 (for concealed percussion locks) in 1825. His lock was rejected by the Ordnance in 1834. He joined the H.A.C. in 1821, became a Captain in the Jäger Corps in which he served between 1833 and 1848, and died in 1851
Howard L. Blackmore (1986) Gunmakers Of London, 1350-1850.
Historic Arms Gallery - Redruth, Cornwall
Email 💻 email@example.com
Call Us ☎️ 07720 871133
Copyright © 2019 Historic Arms Gallery
Website Design by Historic Arms Gallery