PREVIOUSLY SOLD GALLERY ~ PAGE 6
Here are examples of stock we have previously sold on this site.
AN INTERESTING CASED COLT MODEL 1851 LONDON NAVY REVOLVER- CAPTAIN FRANK WILLAN, OXFORDSHIRE LIGHT INFANTRY.
Please see WW1 Named Campaign Case ( below ) for family related item
For details of owner see
A WW1 PERIOD CAMPAIGN CASE NAMED TO LIEUT R H WILLAN 60TH RIFLES.
Please see Cased Colt Model 1851 Navy ( above ) for family related item
For details of owner see
A PERCUSSION BAYONET PISTOL BY THEOPHILUS RICHARDS WITH 9" BARREL
A circa 1800 flintlock converted in period to drum and nipple percussion, this is a large percussion bayonet pistol by Theophilus Richards, the father of William Westley Richards. Octagonal 9" smoothbore barrel of 16 bore with sprung bayonet operated by lever on top of engraved tang (strong action), top flat engraved THEOP RICHARDS with a small S after Theop to denote the shortening of Theophilus. Stepped bevelled border engraved lockplate signed in script. Iron furniture with engraved triggerguard, ramrod pipes and engraved pineapple finial. Walnut half stock, horn fore end, silver barrel bolt escutcheons, vacant silver escutcheon above Egg style chequering, horn tipped ramrod. 15" overall length. In unrestored condition since period conversion, minor handling marks but no stock splits. Ramrod a possible replacement.
Theophilus Richards 1747-1828 was a high quality Gunmaker and Silversmith based in Birmingham. See this informative article;-
A 1796 HEAVY DRAGOON PATTERN FLINTLOCK PISTOL
A rare variation of a 1796 Heavy Cavalry Dragoon pattern flintlock pistol. 9" round musket bore barrel with Kings proof marks, double line border engraved flat lockplate engraved Tower at the tail, crown GR, border engraved throat hole flintcock. Lock retained by a two side nails. Regulation brass furniture comprising trigger guard, flat scroll side plate and single ramrod pipe. Iron ramrod. Walnut full stock. 15 ½" overall. An unusual variation as the lock is of the 1786 Light Dragoon type with flat lockplate and throat hole cock as opposed to the normal rounded lockplate and swan neck cock. Cleaned overall, stock is in very good condition with old repaired crack in usual place through rear sidenail. Lock and action in excellent condition, barrel has some pitting.
A RARE FLINTLOCK LOCK MECHANISM FOR THE 1833 PATTERN MANTON CARBINE
One of the last ordnance flintlocks, this is a detached flintlock for the 1833 Pattern Manton Carbine. 5.375" colour case hardened stepped and bolted lock dated 1835 engraved with a Crown over TOWER with W R (William IV : 1830-1837). Ordnance inspection stamp, crown over arrow forward of flintcock. Inspectors stamp of crown over 8 to internal lock. This lock was based on the Nock screwless lock with an internal frizzen spring operated from the short arm of the mainspring but with an external flintcock to overcome the moisture problem within the screwless lock internal cage.
Excellent condition but missing the sliding safety and sear spring (sear spring cage and screw present). These small parts are available from The Rifle Shoppe.
Designed by Charles Manton, son of Joseph Manton, while Master Furbisher at the Tower of London in 1830. See pages 34 and 35 , British Military Firearms 1815-65 by D.W. B
Bailey for illustration and discussion of the Pattern 1833 Manton Carbine. Also, Howard L. Blackmore, British Military Firearms 1650-1850, 1961, pp. 143-4, pls. 171, 176.
SPEAR POINT BOWIE KNIFE FROM THE MID TO LATE 19TH CENTURY WITH 8 INCH BLADE MARKED ARNACHELLUM SALEM
Indian Spear Point Bowie knife from the mid to late 19th century with 8" blade marked ARNACHELLUM SALEM. Stag Horn handle complete with leather scabbard. The knife was made by the famous Indian Cutler, Arnachellum who lived in Salem India. Arnachellum was famous throughout India for his shikar knifes and spear heads. There are many references to Arnacallum Salem in period literature including from J. MORAY BROWN of the 79th Cameron Highlanders who notes in the 1887 book "SHIKAR SKETCHES with notes on Indian Field-Sports" that Arnachellum made the best Hog Spears in India.
A genuine original untouched knife and scabbard in very good condition. Makers mark is worn but visible.
A FINE QUALITY 54 BORE DOUBLE BARRELLED PERCUSSION TRAVELLING PISTOL BY JAMES WEBB OF SALISBURY, WILTSHIRE
A 54-Bore Double Barrelled Percussion Travelling Pistol by James Webb, Salisbury, circa 1850. With 3.8" smoothbore hexagonal barrels in fine condition with notched rear sight and silver bead front sight, traces of original finish. Barrels signed JAMES WEBB SALISBURY to central rib, scroll engraving towards breech and engraved muzzles, Birmingham proofs under each barrel, captive ramrod, under barrel rib which has most of its original case hardened finish. Case hardened breech, boxlock action with dolphin engraved hammers each with sliding safety, actions finely engraved with strong original case hardened finish to tang. Double triggers with scroll engraved trigger guard showing traces of original blued finish. Silver escutcheon to shoulder of virtually unblemished chequered Walnut butt - superb quality. Overall length 9". A tactile and fine quality pistol by an excellent provincial maker.
James Webb (1813-1872), Gunmaker of 38 Catherine Street, Salisbury, Wiltshire where he was in business 1843-1872.
A RARE PAIR OF IRISH FLINTLOCK POCKET PISTOLS WITH HIDDEN TRIGGERS BY JOHN READ OF DUBLIN CIRCA 1779
Please do not hesitate to contact us for more information
A GOOD FLINTLOCK BOXLOCK OVER AND UNDER TAP ACTION PISTOL BY BASS OF LONDON
Circa 1790, this is a good quality 40 bore flintlock boxlock action over and under pistol by John BASS of London. 8 1/2" overall with 2 7/ keyed turn off barrels. Rectangular pan with working tap action lever. Border engraved frame with London Proofs, engraved stand of arms to each side with BASS on left side and LONDON on right side. Floral engraving to triggerguard. Sliding safety. Sprung border engraved frizzen. Border engraved ring neck cock and top jaw. Good working action. Figured slab sided butt with vacant silver shield escutcheon. Some minor handling marks to stock. Overall good condition.
John BASS, born Grantham, Lincs 1761. In partnership with uncle, John Fox Twigg, as Twigg & Bass, 1788-90: on his own Carrington St, Piccadilly, 1790: 19 Green Park Row, Piccadilly, 1793-94. Died 1794. Widow Sarah closed business 1795. (Gunmakers of London, 1350-1850, Howard Blackmore.)
A FINE PRESENTATION CASED 120 BORE BEAUMONT ADAMS REVOLVER RETAILED BY JAMES PURDEY OF LONDON
A Presentation Cased 120-Bore Beaumont-Adams Patent Five-Shot Double-Action Percussion Revolver. Retailed By James Purdey, 314 1/2 Oxford Street, London. Adams Patent No. 35,817R. Blued octagonal 4.25" sighted barrel with strong London Proof marks and manufacturers mark L.A.C. of the London Armoury Company, action is sound and accurate to all cylinder chambers. The rifled bore is very good. Blued border engraved top-strap with retailer's name and address "JA.S, PURDEY, No. 314 1/2 OXFORD ST.T, LONDON". Blued cylinder with London Proof marks and matching serial number, blued border engraved frame, trigger-guard and butt-cap with hinged compartment, blued rammer, safety-strap, arbor-pin and catch, fine chequered figured rounded butt with silver escutcheon. The whole revolver finely scroll and border line engraved retaining most of its original finish. In its presentation lined and fitted oak case of the highest quality with accessories, a SYKES pistol flask with split ring for suspension, pewter oil bottle, cap box, captive worm ramrod and turnscrew. Original 120 bore Adams mould, the Sykes flask is correct size but may have replaced a Dixon flask, the cap box also a good fitting replacement.
The superb flamed Oak case is lined in dark red baize with brass external corners and inset front hooks. The full Coat of Arms of the original owner, Joseph Jones of Abberley, Co.Worcs is superbly engraved to a central rectangular brass plate inset on the case lid. Research (Burke's General Armory description) reveals the original owner as Joseph JONES (Abberley, co Worcester). The Coat of Arms in Heraldic Terms - Quarterly, 1st and 4th, az.on a cross raguly ar. betw. in the 1st and 4th quarters a pheon, and in the 2nd and 3rd across moline or, five mullets. gu., for JONES: 2nd and 3rd, sa. three bars ar., for LEES. Crest - A stag lodged and reguard.ppr. semee of acorns vert, in the mouth a fern branch also ppr. Motto - Deo Adjuvante.
The Motto on the Coat of Arms, DEO ADJUVANTE means "With God Assisting", a motto shared only with Viscount Exmouth which refers to an action of 1st Viscount in 1814 in saving troops and a crew from the transport ‘Dutton’ off Plymouth.
Joseph Jones was a very wealthy Cotton Magnate who previously lived at Spring Bank, Severn Stoke, Worcs. He made his fortune in Oldham where, along with the LEES family (who are included on the coat of arms due to marriage) he was largely responsible for making Oldham the world's manufacturing centre for cotton spinning in the second half of the 19th century. In 1867 he moved to Abberley Hall, an imposing grand house set in 90 acres which is now a school. The building dates from the mid 19th-century, it is Italianate style and was designed by Dawkes, for Joseph Jones. Joseph Jones's cousin John inherited the estate and built an amazing Gothic clock tower in 1883 between Abberley and the Woodbury Hills which can still be seen today from six counties. The same coat of arms appears above the door to the tower. Interestingly for us down in Cornwall, the Abberley Clock Tower, also known as Jones's Folly, was designed and built by James Piers St Aubyn who is probably best known for his restoration of St Michael’s Mount in Cornwall which perhaps compensated in a small degree for missing out, by a single vote, on the commission to build Truro Cathedral.
As for date this pistol is circa 1860. There is no database for dates of manufacture but the serial number of 35,817R is found on the right side of the frame, under the cylinder, preceded by “Adams Patent” and followed by the suffix R, denoting manufactured by the LAC, (London Armoury Company). 35,817R is not the British Patent Number (which was 374/1855) but the serial number. (If the suffix is the letter P then they were manufactured by Pryse & Redman of Birmingham, the suffix letter C is Calisher & Terry manufacture).
Above the serial number there is another number 20,068 with B as a prefix. This additional serial number was used for control of the payment of royalties to Frederic Beaumont for his patented improvement in 1855 to the basic Adams pistol. As the Beaumont patent expired on 20th February 1862, it is concluded that all revolvers showing these twin serial numbers were manufactured before that date. B20,068 is among the higher numbers recorded so a date of manufacture of circa 1860 is correct. Also see p.84 of “Adams Revolvers” by Chamberlain and Taylerson where they state that “an examination of the serial numbers upon Beaumont Adams revolvers suggest that L.A.Co manufacture began at around B3600/19000R which (in default of definitive information) we date to 1857; by the close of 1860, in our judgement, the serial-range was probably around B20,000/36,000R”. This pistol proves their research.
HISTORIC CASED RIVIERE DUELLING PISTOLS OF CAPTAIN FRANK ABNEY-HASTINGS, VETERAN OF TRAFALGAR AND HERO OF GREEK WAR OF INDEPENDENCE
This cased pair of duelling/officers pistols were originally owned by one the greatest unsung heroes of the 19th Century, Captain Frank Abney-Hastings who played a major part in the Greek War of Independence (200th Anniversary this year) yet is scarcely remembered for his exploits in his country of adoption and virtually unknown in his country of birth, England, despite a distinguished and sometimes controversial Naval Career which ended in a Court Martial for duelling. He not only designed and commissioned but also commanded the first steam ship used in action. See below for more details.
The pistols are high quality percussion duelling/officers pistols by Isaac Riviere of London made circa 1820 and showing signs of extensive original use. Heavy octagonal barrels nearly 9 inches long of 54 bore signed RIVIERE LONDON on top flat show heavy use in period and have not been re-struck. Stepped, bevel edged, foliate engraved lockplates signed RIVIERE with matching foliate engraved hammers, platinum plugs and two platinum lines to breeches. Iron furniture with stand of arms engraved to spurred trigger guard. Quality Walnut stocks in good condition with silver barrel bolt escutcheons and chequered grips. Ramrods with captive extractors, one with replacement brass fore end. Overall length 14.5 inches. Original mahogany case and lining with inset front hooks, original label of Riviere, lined in blue velvet containing a three way flask for powder, balls and caps/patches, turnscrew, bullet mould and cleaning rod with extractor, also what looks like the original case key. Case in very good condition, lid has circular lift ring handle with engraved owners escutcheon “This Case of Pistols was bequeathed by Frank Abney Hastings Esq,. to his Friend Cap’n E. H. Scott, RN"- see David Crane, ‘Men of War’ page 2 for details of this bequest in the will of Frank-Abney Hastings.
Bequeathed to Captain Edward Hinton Scott, R.N. By Frank Abney-Hastings
Bequeathed to RUSI (Royal United Services Institute) by Captain Edward Hinton Scott
Sold by RUSI as one of the artefacts when they closed their museum.
Exhibited at exhibition organised by descendant, Maurice Abney-Hastings in 2011.
Illustrated in book ‘Commander of the Karteria’ plate number 8, author Maurice abney-Hastings.
RIVIERE, Gunmaker: Isaac Riviere b.1781, Gunmaker, 121 Oxford Street 1809 -1817: 315 Oxford Street, London 1818 - 1851. Riviere joined the Honourable Artillery Company (HAC) in 1821, became a Sgt in 1829, Lieutenant 1829-1833 and Captain of the Jager Corps 1833-48. He organised a rifle range at Wormwood scrubs and leased it to the HAC and the Royal Victoria Rifles of which he was Corps Treasurer. He lived at Rifle Cottage, Wood Lane, Hammersmith(Howard Blackmore, ‘Gunmakers of London 1350-1850’)
Excellent history with photo of the pistols in the hands of Maurice Abney-Hastings at;-
Frank Abney Hastings, Captain R.N, was the son of Lieutenant-General Charles Hastings, illegitimate son of Francis Hastings, 10th Earl of Huntingdon. Born in 1794, Frank Hastings entered the Royal Navy in 1805, and as a first class boy (rated Acting Midshipman) of only 11 years of age he was in the Neptune at the BATTLE of TRAFALGAR. HMS Neptune was a 98-gun three-deck ship built at Deptford in 1797. At Trafalgar she was under the command of Captain (later Admiral Sir) Thomas Freemantle and was in the thick of the action. After the battle she towed the crippled HMS Victory with Admiral Nelson's body on board. One can only imagine how this intense battle and its aftermath affected an 11 year old with only six months service. Although it was Hastings first taste of action, he appears to have learnt from it as his subsequent interest in artillery and gunnery stemmed from an event on the Neptune during the action when an explosion of powder between decks killed or wounded several men.
During his Royal Naval service Hastings visited every quarter of the globe and was serving in HMS Seahorse when that frigate engaged two Turkish men-of-war and captured one of them which proved to be a much larger frigate than the Seahorse. He also commanded part of the Naval Brigade in the BATTLE of NEW ORLEANS during the War of 1812.
After nearly fifteen years service Hastings was sent to the West Indies in 1819 in command of the KANGAROO. It was to be his last Royal Naval command. When bringing the Kangaroo to an anchor he purportedly ‘overlayed’ the anchor of the flag-ship in the harbour. Unfortunately, the flag-captain took real offence at this action and hailed Hastings, insulting him in a loud voice that everyone in the harbour could hear. Hastings could not overlook this public insult and challenged the flag-captain to a duel or an apology. Rather than accept the challenge, the flag-captain reported the challenge to his admiral, and as duelling was illegal in the navy, the admiral had no choice but to Court Martial Hastings and he was dismissed from the service. Hastings protestations to Lord Melville, then first Lord of the Admiralty, came to nothing.
With hopes of a career in the Royal Navy dashed, Hastings looked to a foreign service to make his name and that was exactly what he did but it was to cost him his life. He moved to France to learn the language and then joined the Greek cause to take an active part in the Greek revolution serving in the Greek navy under Admiral Lord Cochrane and alongside other notable Greek ‘Philhellenes’ (supporters of Greek independence) such as Lord Byron.
Hastings sailed for Greece on the 12th of March 1822 from Marseilles. On the 3rd of April he reached Hydra. For two years he took part in the naval operations of the Greeks in the Gulf of Smyrna and elsewhere. However, apart from a lack of discipline amongst the Greeks, he saw that the light squadrons of the Greeks must in the end be overpowered by the heavierTurkish navy. As a result, in 1823 Hastings drew up and presented to Lord Byron a very able plan which Lord Byron laid before the Greek government in 1824. The ideas in this plan were of great importance to the Greek insurrection, but they were also far reaching and formed the basis of a great revolution in naval gunnery and tactics. In substance the plan advocated the use of steamers in preference to sailing ships, and of direct fire with shells and hot shot as a more lethal means of destroying the Turkish fleet than fire-ships.
The application of Hastings’s ideas led necessarily to the disuse of sailing ships, and the introduction of armour plating. Regretably, the limited resources of the fledgling Greek government prevented the full application of Hastings’s bold and far-seeing plans, even though they were also supported by Admiral Lord Cochrane who put them forward as his own idea. However, largely by the use of Hastings own money, of which he is said to have spent £7,000, Hastings was able to some extent to carry out a small part of his larger plan. In 1824 he returned to England to obtain a steamer, and in 1825 returned to Greece with a small steamer named the “ Karteria “ (Perseverance), manned by Englishmen, Swedes and Greeks.
The Karteria was mounted with eight sixty-eight pounder guns – four of which were carronades of the normal government pattern and four of a new design, cast and prepared by Hastings himself. These new guns designed by Hastings were a massive seven feet four inches long in the bore and weighed fifty-eight hundred weight. Mounting alterations were also designed and the hot shot was heated in the steam engine fires. His new guns were designed to use eight inch shells as well as hot shot. In the forthcoming actions, Hastings fired over 20,000 shells!
Hastings did enough to show that if his advice for several ships had been vigorously followed the Turks would have been driven off the sea long before the date of the famous Battle of Navarino. The lethal effect produced by his hot shells in an attack on the sea-line of communication of the Turkish army, then besieging Athens at Oropus and Volo in March and April 1827, was clear proof that much more could have been achieved. Greek military disorganisation caused the defeat of the Greeks round Athens. However, Hastings, (in co-operation with General Sir R. Church) successfully shifted the scene of the attack to western Greece. Here, his devastating destruction of nine Turkish naval ships at Salona Bay in the Gulf of Corinth (29th September 1827) provoked the Turks leader, Egyptian General Ibrahim Pasha, into seeking revenge against Hastings. This quest for revenge precipitated the aggressive and impetuous movements which led to the destruction of his Turkish fleet by the allies at the Battle of Navarino on 20th October 1827. Frustrated with the the Greek leaders and his worsening financial position, Hastings quit the Greek navy but returned for one action which literally proved to be his last. On the 25th of May 1828 Hastings was a victim of ill discipline on the part of Greek privateers who were part of his force in an attack on Anatolikon, and he was wounded trying to remedy the situation. Without proper medical care, he died a few days later on the 1st of June.
Another Philhellene, General Gordon, who served in the war and wrote its history, says of him: “ If ever there was a disinterested and really useful Philhellene it was Hastings. He received no pay, and had expended most of his slender fortune in keeping the ‘ Karteria ‘ afloat for the last six months. His ship, too, was the only one in the Greek navy where regular discipline was maintained.” Other notable historians of the Greek Revolution, such as Finlay, also speak highly about Hastings contribution. The Greek Revolution owes a lot to the exploits and success of Frank Hastings, the first ever Captain of a steam driven warship used in action, but sadly during his lifetime he was treated by them with neglect and his ambitions were never fulfilled. After his death, the great value of his services and his achievements became more appreciated but all hope of organising the Greek Navy perished with him. Whilst the Greek Government conferred honours, awards and ribands on many less deserving (but influencial and rich) individuals, Hastings never received any honours, not even posthumously.
It is sad reflection that even Hastings funeral at Egina (Capital of Greece in 1828 after the fall of Athens) was paid for by his old shipmates from the Karteria, ironically using money he had paid them from his own pocket. It was attended by many dignatories and was a grand but sombre affair. Amongst the memorials to him the Greek state moved the bones of Frank Abney Hastings in 1861 to the Poros Naval Station, where an obelisk monument was erected to honour his contribution to the Greek war for Independence.There are many books either written about Frank Abney-Hastings or ones that mention him, the main ones being ‘Commander of the Karteria” and David Crane’s “Men of War”. Several examples are photographed below and are included in the sale of these pistols including a facsimile copy of his memoir written in 1828 “MEMOIR ON THE USE OF SHELLS, HOT SHOT AND CARCASS SHELLS FROM SHIP ARTILLERY”.
Maurice Abney-Hastings, a descendant of Frank Abney-Hastings did a great deal of work to bring his ancestors achievements into public notice including an excellent website captainfrank.co.uk but sadly the website content has largely disappeared following the death of Maurice in 2016. As Maurice Abney-Hastings said, these are also highly probably the pistols referred to in a press cutting in the Times (Newspaper) in 1827 (see below) where Hastings shot himself in the foot (during a duel) by accident due to the hair triggers!
Historic Arms Gallery - Redruth, Cornwall
Email 💻 email@example.com
Call Us ☎️ 07720 871133
Copyright © 2019 Historic Arms Gallery
Website Design by Historic Arms Gallery