PREVIOUSLY SOLD GALLERY ~ PAGE 3
Here are examples of stock we have previously sold on this site. Below you will find Sea Service Pistols, Brown Bess, pistols by Richards, Henry Nock and other items by the finest Gunmakers.
BRITISH EAST INDIA COMPANY NEW LAND PATTERN BROWN BESS MUSKET
39" Barrel Brown Bess Musket, .75" bore with very clear inspectors mark, British Proof marks and Heart Mark acceptance stamp of the British East India Company. Matching barrel and stock number 1090. Lock in excellent working order with EIC Rampant Lion mark and inspectors mark. Post 1809 throat hole flintcock. All correct regulation brass furniture of buttplate, recessed sideplate, ramrod pipes, fore end cap and triggerguard. Sling swivels fitted. Stock stamped with armoury number. Barrel is excellent externally polished armoury bright with clear proof/acceptance marks. All Lock parts are original, the lock is pitted but clean. All original brass furniture and sling swivels with nice patina. Stock in good condition with normal handling marks.
Like others we have sold, this particular Brown Bess was in use late into the 20th century for ceremonial purposes in a North West province of India. The stock was darkened and the steel polished to achieve maximum effect on parade. A genuine and original EIC Bess.
A FLINTLOCK POCKET/MUFF PISTOL BY RICHARDS
An original and sleepy flintlock pocket or muff pistol by Richards. Border engraved action marked RICHARDS on one side with floral engraving to the other side. 32 bore 2" long turn off barrel. Rounded breech with London proof marks. Folding trigger. Border engraved ring neck cock. Sprung frizzen with engraved sliding safety. Walnut flat sided butt with silver escutcheon engraved with flowers. Overall length 6 1/2".
A real sleeper untouched with no restoration. Would grade up with a gentle clean. Metalwork is lightly pitted. Mechanically sound with working safety. Very little shrinkage to wood which has the normal handling marks but no splits.
FLINTLOCK YORKSHIRE MAIL COACH BLUNDERBUSS WITH TOP SPRUNG BAYONET
Flintlock Mail Coach Blunderbuss with top sprung bayonet by Dunderdale Mabson and Labron of 25 Russell Street, Birmingham circa 1820 (Heer Der Neue Stockel Vol I, p.317: English Irish and Scottish Firearms Makers by Merwyn Carey p.26). 17" flared brass barrel measuring 1.5" internally at muzzle with octagonal breech section engraved on top flat under spring bayonet RIC'M'ND - YORK MAIL COACH. Full length Waters patent top sprung bayonet released by sliding catch on tang. Good quality all original lock with swan neck cock with border engraving, roller frizzen and border engraved lockplate engraved Dunderdale Mabson & Labron. Engraved brass triggerguard with acorn finial, brass ramrod pipes and barrel bolt escutcheons, engraved brass sideplate and brass buttcap engraved with a stand of arms. Iron ramrod and walnut stock.
Brass barrel in excellent condition. Good patina to brass triggerguard, ramrod pipes, barrel bolt escutcheons and buttplate. Steel parts with minor pitting commensurate with use and age. Working lock. Spring bayonet mechanism worn but original and in working condition. The stock is in very good condition considering its use with very minor losses and handling marks, small wood loss at top of tang, one small inset repair on reverse of stock and a very minor fracture forward of lock.
An unusual Mail Coach variant which was used for the Mail Coach between the busy Georgian market town of Richmond and York in the second quarter of the 19th century. It is unusual to have the towns named rather than a number on the barrel. Numbers are the norm but can be confusing as they often do not relate to a route number but are now thought in some cases to relate to the sequential number of manufacture.
1846 REGULATION ISSUE SEA SERVICE PERCUSSION PISTOL
1846 Regulation Issue Sea Service Percussion Pistol. With 6" long, 25 bore barrel with various proof and ordnance inspectors stamps & captive ramrod. Lock marked with Crown over VR, Tower 1846. Walnut stock with regulation brass mounts complete with belt hook with inspectors stamp & iron lanyard loop on butt.
Normal handling wear to stock with excellent barrel and markings. Original lock in excellent condition.
FLINTLOCK 50 BORE BOX-LOCK POCKET PISTOL BY DURS EGG
A good quality Flintlock Box-Lock Pocket Pistol by Durs Egg of London, circa 1800. 50 bore turn-off barrel 1.8 inches long engraved with a slender band of foliage around the breech. Rounded breech signed D EGG LONDON on one side and engraved with long ribbon and starburst on each side under frizzen, border engraved action finely decorated with a differing trophy of arms on each side, thumbpiece safety-catch engraved with a starburst and also locking the frizzen, ring-neck cock engraved with a serpent on each side, folding trigger within a foliage engraved border. Sprung roller frizzen with fine heart and border engraving. Tang and trigger guard screw heads engraved and finished in line which is always a good sign of quality. Finely figured walnut flat sided butt. Tower private proof marks. Overall length 6 inches.
Good even patina to all metal parts, crisp proof marks and engraving, some minor pitting. Some wear to London signature on frame. Trigger correctly unfolds when action is cocked but is a little loose when folded back in recess. Sliding safety engages correctly at half cock. Sprung frizzen tight and excellent working condition. None of the normal stock shrinkage between frame and butt. Some minor handling marks to butt.
An above average condition pistol by one of the best gunmakers of the period.
PERCUSSION 25 BORE COASTGUARD PATTERN PISTOL BY GEORGE H DAW
25 Bore Percussion Coastguard Pistol of regulation type by George H Daw with regulation brass mounts. Plain barrel with proof marks and signed in full along the top (signature worn but looks like GEORGE H.DAW 57 THREADNEEDLE STREET LONDON). Tang incorporating a rear sight. Lock plate with border engraving and "George H Daw". Iron lanyard loop and captive stirrup ramrod.
Plain barrel with good but slightly pitted surface - see photograph, central barrel inscription is worn. Mechanically sound with working stirrup captive ramrod. Stock is complete and in overall good condition with minor bruising. Iron parts in good condition with some minor pitting.
A GOOD QUALITY PAIR OF 48 BORE FLINTLOCK POCKET/MUFF PISTOLS BY W RICHARDS CIRCA 1815
A good quality pair of 48 bore flintlock pocket/muff pistols by W Richards circa 1815. Smooth bore 1.5" turn off barrels with crisp proof marks. Engraved throat hole flintlock boxlock actions marked W Richards and London with sprung frizzen and sliding safety. Slab sided walnut grips. Overall length 6.25". The good quality and date of these pistols indicate that the W Richards may be the early production of Westley Richards.
Very good condition. Stocks are good with virtually no shrinkage next to action and a few minor handling marks. Mechanically sound. Wood to metal fit excellent. Grey patina to all metalwork with minor staining. Crisp proofs. Barrels very good tight fit but unscrew easily.
RARE SWEDISH MODEL M/1704 MILITARY FLINTLOCK PISTOL
Rare Swedish Model 1704 Flintlock Pistol dated 1711. Tapering sighted .650 calibre, 16 bore three stage 14" barrel with excellent ordnance proof marks and date of 1711 within rectangular stamp. Original regulation lock and triggerguard with impressed marks. Original trigger, ramrod pipe, ramrod and side nails. Blackened stock with non original butt cap. Overall length 20.75". The market price at auction for a Swedish 1704 Model flintlock is circa £3,500 - £4,000. See Thomas Del Mar auction 27 June 2012, Lot 447, price inc commission around £3,850 (please note that the photo for the 1704 pistol was shown with lot 446 by mistake). A mint example of this pistol is held by the Swedish Army Museum.
This is a restoration project due to the non original buttcap which is just a plain nasty later replacement! Nevertheless, the original parts on this pistol are a rare find. The stock looks like a Swedish period replacement. The stock for these Swedish pistols was invariably made from a light wood (possibly Arctic Birch like some of their Brown Bess?) and then darkened so splicing in a long eared buttcap is possible without detracting from the overall excellent condition of the rest of the pistols all original metal parts which have a smooth grey patina. Minor pitting to lock and triggerguard. Lock all original and mechanically sound with wear to the pan.
EXCELLENT AND RARE ORIGINAL JOSEPH MANTON CASE FOR A FLINTLOCK, CAPLOCK, TUBELOCK OR PATCHLOCK SHOTGUN OR RIFLE
Excellent and Rare Original Joseph Manton Case for a Flintlock, Caplock, Tubelock or Patchlock Shotgun or Rifle (all were being made by Joseph Manton in 1820 - see The Mantons, Gunmakers by W Keith Neal and D H L Back). All original lining and complete with all original furniture, lock and key. Original label for 11 Hanover Square dates the case as made between 1820-1825. Case is made to take a 30" barrel. Original cases in this condition are becoming extremely scarce.
Internal dimensions are 30.5 " long, 8" wide, 2.25 " deep.
Totally original and excellent condition with all compartments intact and even the lift out ribbon for the stock. Some foxing to label and some handling marks to case lid.
CASED SHOTGUN BY WILLIAM SMITH S/N 2583 FOR 1818 OWNED BY SIR THOMAS HANBURY - FLINTLOCK CONVERTED TO TUBE LOCK BY CHARLES MOORE
A fine cased 20 bore double barrel shotgun by William Smith of London serial number 2583 for June 1818 converted from flintlock to tubelock by Charles Moore of London circa 1825. 28" barrels with flat central rib signed in gold W SMITH, LONDON with tube lock platinum lined touch hole breech fitted by Charles Moore engraved with central starburst and platinum poincons signed C MOORE, LONDON, PATENT. Original brass tipped ramrod with captive worm. Border engraved locks with fine foliate engraving signed C Moore, London. Stock with finely checkered wrist, barrel channel with feint matching serial number of 2583 and stock makers stamp of EA. Escutcheon on wrist of stock with initials and crest of Sir Thomas Hanbury. Matching engraved furniture including tang and trigger guard with double triggers. In original William Smith case with excellent condition typical blue Smith lining and very good original Smith of Leicester Square label - one of the best labels of the period. Case with fitted contents including 3 piece cleaning rod, working Hawksley Stag and Leaves flask, Sykes patent shot belt with Irish charger, powder measure, tin containing very rare tubes for lock under lockplate compartment and a patent collapsible gilt stirrup cup in matching blue velvet lined watch style case. Case has a compartment lid marked Mr Smith 26th June 1818.
Fine barrels with good original colour, excellent bores and gold inlaid makers signature with no gold losses. Sharp engraving to lockplates and furniture. Excellent stock with some handling marks but fine condition with sharp checkering. Case lining original with some period modification when converted to tube lock. Flask has no significant dents, tubes in excellent condition. Gilding in stirrup cup faded but would clean to fine condition.
This a beautifully balanced rare high quality Charles Moore tube lock conversion of a William Smith flintlock probably originally owned by a member of the Hanbury family who passed it down to Thomas Hanbury 1832-1907, later knighted and amongst other claims to fame, donated the 60 acre gardens at Wisley to the Royal Horticultural Society in 1903. Hanbury made his fortune in China buying up large tracts of land in China from 1853 onwards and became the largest property owner in Shanghai. His shooting exploits are covered in his published letters see page 102 and pages 104-105. A biography of his interesting life, La Mortola, also mentions that 'Thomas was a keen shot and spent many hours roaming Common (Clapham) with a gun shooting rabbits'.
REGULATION ISSUE 25 BORE PERCUSSION COASTGUARD PISTOL DATED 1840
25 Bore 1840 Tower Marked Percussion Coastguard Pistol with regulation brass mounts. Lock with "V.R." crowned and "Tower 1840". Full walnut stock with worn inspectors marks. Iron lanyard loop and captive stirrup ramrod. Plain barrel complete with proof marks. Plain barrel with good even patina, ordnance view and proof marks. Mechanically sound with working stirrup captive ramrod. Stock is complete and in overall good condition with some original and good inlay replacement around the lock plate. Belt clip is missing.
MID 18TH CENTURY SILVER MOUNTED SCOTTISH SKEAN DHU
A mid 18th Century silver mounted Scottish Skean Dhu. Overall length 7.2" with part serrated 3.8" blade with excellent large hand cut Cairngorm stone on top silver mount. Traditional carved wood with metal pins between silver mounts. The dealer who supplied this Skean Dhu stated he obtained it, together with a pistol and sword, from a family on one of the Scottish Islands who in turn said that it had reputedly belonged to a family member from the 1745 Jacobite Rebellion. The construction of the scabbard can clearly be seen due to its condition and indicates that mid 18th century origin would not be inappropriate.
Leather scabbard shows age wear and heavy use - good on one side but split on the other side. Bottom chape is missing. Blade is pitted and stained. Tip damaged.
A BRASS BARRELLED FLINTLOCK BLUNDERBUSS CIRCA 1797 MARKED DUBLIN CASTLE WITH SPRING BAYONET
A late 18th century brass barrelled flintlock blunderbuss with spring bayonet. Two stage brass octagon to round bell mouth barrel 14.5” long with banded intersection, top flat engraved “Dublin Castle” with 12½” top spring bayonet released by a thumb catch on the breech tang (action requires new spring). Border engraved stepped lockplate with flat swan neck cock, roller frizzen, lockplate signed “DENNING”. Strong working action with all original parts. Walnut fullstock with slight damage to stock and tang around mounting screw. Brass mounts, including flower engraved trigger guard with acorn finial, engraved butt plate tang, ramrod pipes and side nail cups. Original horn tipped ramrod with iron worm. Overall length 30.5".
Henry Denning is recorded in Heer Der Neue Stockel as working in Sherborne Dorset circa 1797. Whilst it is possible that is was made in Dorset for Dublin Castle, the characteristics of this blunderbuss indicate a slightly earlier date so it may well be that Henry Denning worked in Ireland before moving to Sherborne. There is a link between a Henry Denning and Earl Digby of Sherborne Castle as a local Henry Denning metalworker is known to have completed iron gates at the castle circa 1789-1790. Edward Digby 2nd Earl Digby was also Baron Digby of Ireland 1793-1856 preceded by his brother Henry Digby. The other explanation is that the engraving may be spurious but it looks period.
EXCELLENT ENGLISH OAK REVOLVER CASE FOR A TRANTER, ADAMS, WEBLEY, BENTLEY OR SMALL COLT REVOLVER
Empty Oak revolver or pistol case circa 1850-1870 which will take an Adams, Tranter, Webley, Bentley or small Colt revolver of the period or indeed any other revolver or percussion pistol of the period, depending upon size of the item. Case will require re-lining but is complete with original internal case edging, key, lock and keep and original key escutcheon as well as round brass escutcheon to case lid. Size internally is 5.75 inches wide, 12.25 inches long and 1.625 inches deep (147mm x 312mm x 41mm).
Case in excellent condition with no shrinkage cracks. Minimal handling marks.
CRIMEAN WAR PERIOD CAMPAIGN CUTLERY BARREL WITH GOBLET
A campaign cutlery barrel with silver plated folding cutlery and silver plated drinks goblet by Toulmin and Gale of London. Outer leather cover to barrel removes to reveal makers name of Toulmin and Gale , Makers, London. Goblet with folding cutlery lifts clear and hinges open for removal of goblet. Makers name repeated on inside of hinged cover. Initials of CSC to top of leather case. Folding cutlery with ivory handles consists of folding spoon, folding fork with corkscrew and a knife. The fourth item is a small medicine spoon. Folding spoon and fork are marked with makers name of William Hutton and Sons who were taken over by James Dixon. Toulmin and Gale were in business from 1735 to 1876. Size: 5" tall by 3.25" diameter.
Leather covered barrel in good shape with handling marks. Would grade up with a gentle restoration. Goblet has no dents - purchaser can decide whether to clean. Blue velvet interior to barrel is worn. Folding spoon and small spoon in good condition. The folding fork/corkscrew has a repair to the ivory handle. The knife has a crude replacement brass handle probably from the period of use but could be repaired as the folding mechanism is complete.
SHOOTING PRIZE PRESENTATION SURREY YEOMANRY CAVALRY OFFICERS PERCUSSION PISTOL BY GAMESON OF LONDON DATED 1842
A very good quality Cavalry Officers pistol by Gameson of London dated 1842. Heavy octagonal damascus twist carbine bore .650 barrel, 8" long. Front blade sight with V notched rear sight. Platinum line to breech. Engraved breech and tang matching lockplate. Captive swivel ramrod. Barrel marked GAMESON LONDON towards breech on top flat. Barrel engraving towards muzzle on top flat reads PRESENTED TO THE BEST SHOT OF THE SURREY YEOMANRY CAVALRY JUNE 1842 BY LIEUT COL THE EARL OF LOVELACE. 'Best Shot' in the regiment shooting prizes are usually rifles. It may well be that this rare cavalry officers presentation pistol was a prize for pistol shooting mounted. A very rare example of a shooting prize.
All original quality lock with engraved Dolphin hammer, matching scroll engraving to lockplate which is marked GAMESON. Silver barrel bolt escutcheons. Walnut stock with finely chequered grip. Silver escutcheon with crest of demi lion couped (unresearched). 13.75 " overall length. A real untouched sleeper. Walnut stock with original varnish has no cracks but does have normal handling marks. Good profiles around lock and reverse side. Crisp grip chequering. Wood to metal fit excellent. Even dark grey patina to all metal parts. Good lock action. Barrel has never been touched so heavy Damascus twist has etched pattern into barrel.
The Surrey Yeomanry Cavalry was raised in 1794, but disbanded in 1828. A Southwark Troop was raised in 1831 and became a full Regiment in the same year. That too was disbanded in 1848. Lieut Col The Earl of Lovelace (see engraving) was the Commanding Officer of the Surrey Yeomanry Cavalry in 1842. William King, Earl of Lovelace, was originally eighth Baron King of Ockham (1805-1893). He was created Earl of Lovelace in 1838. On 8 July 1835 he married Lord Byrons only daughter, the exceptionally gifted Ada Lovelace. She was a mathematician best known for incisive notes and comments on her close friend Charles Babbages analytical engine. The family seat of the Earl of Lovelace was at Ockham Park, but he acquired East Horsley Park, in East Horsley, a few miles to the south, in 1840. Lovelace spent thirty years transforming the building into a Rhenish Gothic castle. It was renamed Horsley Towers after he added an extraordinary tower in 1858. The building still stands at the south end of Ockham Road South. Lovelace pioneered the use of wood formed after being steamed - he reported this to the Institution of Civil Engineers and Isambard Kingdom Brunel expressed approval of Lovelace's Great Hall built in 1847 using bent beams. He had excellent bricks made and won the medal for brickmaking at the Great Exhibition of 1851. Lovelace was Lord Lieutenant of Surrey in 1840, FRS in 1841 and FICE. Lovelace rebuilt a number of buildings in the village and elsewhere in his characteristic style. He also built a number of characteristic horseshoe shaped bridges for transporting timber. Lovelace attended nearby St. Martin's Church, where he is buried in a mausoleum he had built some 20 years previously in the NE corner of the churchyard. In 1919-1926, Horsley Towers was bought by T. O. M. Sopwith, the yacht and aircraft designer.
Please note: For UK buyers only the price includes a hand coloured original woodcut engraving from The Illustrated London News dated 17 June 1854 depicting the Inspection of the Second Royal Surrey Militia at Guildford Friday 2 june 1854 Commanded by their 'noble Colonel The Earl of Lovelace. This was the re-established regiment in 1852 following disbandment of the Surrey Yeomanry Cavalry in 1848
HORN AND BRASS POWDER FLASK CIRCA 1800 MARKED TO THE 88TH REGIMENT OF FOOT (CONNAUGHT RANGERS)
A Rare Regimentally marked Horn and Brass Powder Flask. Horn with wonderful patina, brass furniture including original suspension rings, large brass charger (some dents to charger) with working spring. Due to the size of the charger, this would be for a Brown Bess or Baker Rifle. Brass end cap marked 'B' over '88' denoting the 88th Regiment. Overall length 9.75". Very original and honest - looks to have seen service!
The 88th Regiment was raised in 1793 in the province of Connaught by an Irish nobleman, John de Burgh, 13th Earl of Clanricarde. Most notably, this famous Irish Regiment of the British Army distinguished itself in the Peninsular Wars.
A LATE 18TH CENTURY RARE RED LEATHER CASE FOR A PAIR OF FLINTLOCK PISTOLS
An extremely scarce American Revolutionary War Period stepped wedge case for a pair of flintlock pistols. Red leather with brass hinged loop handle and large brass lock plate (no key) with cusped bevelled border. Old repair to leather seam/hinge at the back. Interior in original contoured lined green velvet Leather inscribed in ink ‘S Bruester Case of Pistols New York’.
The (subsequent?) owners inscription is circa 1800. The case is late 18th Century circa 1770. It is highly probable that it was used in the American Revolutionary War, 1775-1783. Cases of this nature are noted to contain the pistols in their individual cloth or soft leather bags/pouches.
25.5cm high x 10cm x 10 cm.
Note: S Bruester was Samuel Brewster (Bruester) — of New York, Member of New York State Senate Middle District, 1804-08.
Collection of Dr. Shaun Brown - Bonhams Sale no. 20801, 24 April 2013, Lot 446.
Collection of Field Marshal Sir Francis Festing G.C.B, K.B.E, D.S.O.
Acquired from Peter Dale Ltd in 1971.
Historic Arms Gallery - Redruth, Cornwall
Email 💻 email@example.com
Call Us ☎️ 07720 871133
Copyright © 2019 Historic Arms Gallery
Website Design by Historic Arms Gallery