Here are examples of stock we have previously sold on this site. Below you will find a Pocket Pistol, Revolver Case and a Crimean Cutlery Barrel.
A Rare 20 Bore Flintlock Single Barrel Sporting Gun by Boutet. One of the more restrained examples of Boutet's work, this is still superb quality and very elegant. Two-stage smooth bore 35" barrel, bead fore-sight set within a gilded surround, makers marks within oval lozenges, strong remnants of gilded arabesques to the breech-section, carved raised sighting rib, the left hand side barrel-flat engraved 'MANUFACTURE A VERSAILLES No. 81', florally engraved solid top-tang. Flat border engraved bevel-edged lockplate with stepped rounded tail signed 'BOUTET' and 'ARQSR', typical rakish flintcock with matching engraving to lockplate, carved frizzen with scrolled foot and large roller-bearing spring, chiselled decoration and scrollwork around and under the pan and partly scrolled rear fence. Walnut handrail stock with finely chequered rococco panels to the wrist and fore-end, bulbous comb, carved ramrod channel, ramrod with worm extractor and horn fore end. Superb yet restrained finely engraved and burnished iron furniture including raised trigger-guard tang, florally carved side-nail cups, broad trigger-guard bow, vase finial and carved ramrod thimbles. Overall length 50.5".
The stock has the normal handling marks and may benefit from being restored. Wood to metal fit is excellent with virtually no shrinkage. A decision has been made to not restore the stock on this sporting gun but a subsequent owner may wish to reconsider this aspect. Similarly, the barrel has traces of original finish but is untouched showing signs of its original magnificence but not restored and re-blued. Iron mounts are in excellent condition. Lock mechanisim is excellent, sadly the lock internals are hidden from view as they are superbly engineered like the rest of this Boutet.
Nicolas Noël Boutet (1761-1833) is without question the premier French gun-maker of all time. Throughout the French Revolution and Napoleonic period Boutet was the principal innovator and artist. His work is greatly undervalued when compared to other forms of art. Nicholas Noël Boutet was named Directeur-Artiste of the newly formed Versailles Arms Manufactory in 1792. The luxurious firearms started being produced soon after, around 1794, from his Versailles manufactory and were commissioned for presentation to Marshals of France as well as Royalty elsewhere in Europe and beyond. His presentation firearms and swords can be see in many of the most famous institutions worldwide today such as the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Wallace Collection, Royal Armouries as well as Royal gunrooms and Palaces.
As a database of serial numbers and years of manufacture does not appear to exist for Boutet, the dating of this particular Boutet is approximated to circa 1800 but could be from 1798-1809. However, the serial number of 81 is early so more likely to be circa 1800. The Metropolitan Museum of Art has a Boutet Rifle which they date circa.1800 which has number 55 on its side (Accession Number:1970.179.1a–q). Hallmarks on that rifle date the silver to the period 1798-1809. Other dating characteristics when comparing to other Boutet such as shown in Herbert J. Houze, “Versailles Civilian Presentations by Boutet”, in Man at Arms magazine, February 2014, p 29, give rise to dating evidence of manufacture between 1798-1802.
This is a rare and important Boutet available at a fraction of the price of his more sophisticated presentation arms and a fine investment which can be admired for his artistry. It is superbly balanced and points well as you would expect.
Colt Second Model Dragoon Revolver, serial no. 8840, for 1850, round 7 1/2in. barrel with octagonal breech-section, the top signed 'ADDRESS SAML COLT NEW-YORK CITY', nickel fore-sight, rear-sight notch to the hammer-nose, plain cylinder with matching numbers and traces of roll-engraved scene, squared locking notches, iron frame marked 'COLTS PATENT US', brass grip-straps and trigger-guard, smooth walnut one-piece grip and hinged under-barrel rammer, slight traces of finish. Action is excellent. All serial numbers matching.
The Colt Second Model Dragoon was designed for use by mounted cavalry - an impressive revolver as it weighs over 4lbs. It was first offered in 1850 and continued production through 1851, for a total of only 2,700, the rarest of Colt’s models of Dragoons.
An interesting cased pair of 3rd Light Dragoons Officers Percussion Pistols by Smith, circa 1842. 9" round barrels of carbine bore with deep proof marks and original browning. Engraved lockplates signed Smith. Excellent stocks with original varnish. Iron furniture with engraved triggerguard. Brass tipped ramrods. The case is particularly attractive and unusual - an all original burr yew veneer which has mellowed and developed a very pleasing patina. Case has original lining and some accessories including cleaning rod, cap tin, turnscrew, a few patches and a ball. Also a three way flask which looks like a field replacement copy of the original flask as it fits very nicely but is a little crude and has ball compartment lid missing. The pistols are sleepers with original varnish and untouched barrels with original browning and varnish. Browned barrels show signs of use with some light pitting/colour loss towards breech. Iron parts have even patina. No missing veneer to case or apparent repairs. Original lining to case. Flask missing compartment lid.
The original owner of these pistols was Cornet Edward Worley (crest and initials on lid escutcheon) of the 3rd Light Dragoons who was killed in the charge of the 3rd Light Dragoons carrying the regimental standard at the Battle of Moodkee on 18th December 1845 during the first Anglo Sikh war. Cornet Worley purchased his commission in the 3rd Light Dragoons on 16th August 1842. Best references for the Anglo-Sikh Wars are Donald Featherstone : 'At Them With The Bayonet - The First Sikh War' and George Bruce : 'Six battles for India - The Anglo-Sikh Wars 1845-6, 1848-9'.
A Rare Regimentally marked Horn and Brass Powder Flask. Horn with wonderful patina, brass furniture including original suspension rings, large brass charger (some dents to charger) with working spring. Due to the size of the charger, this would be for a Brown Bess or Baker Rifle. Brass end cap marked 'B' over '88' denoting the 88th Regiment. Overall length 9.75". Very original and honest - looks to have seen service!
The 88th Regiment was raised in 1793 in the province of Connaught by an Irish nobleman, John de Burgh, 13th Earl of Clanricarde. Most notably, this famous Irish Regiment of the British Army distinguished itself in the Peninsular Wars.
An excellent Brown Bess socket bayonet for the 3rd Model/India pattern Brown Bess by Osborn & Gunby who produced Brown Bess bayonets from 1808-1811 (“Brown Bess Bayonet”, 1995, Graham Priest). Excellent condition with clear marking of “Osborn and Gunby “ stamped on the forte. Overall length 20.6” (524mm), Blade 16” (404mm), Socket 4” (100mm), Stud to Muzzle 1.95” (50mm), Muzzle ring diameter (front of socket internal) 23.5mm.
Flintlock boxlock 60 bore pocket pistol by George Higham of Warrington circa 1810. Line engraved lock signed Higham on left and Warrington on right. Sliding safety, sprung frizzen. Barrel 2.25" long. Measures 7.2" overall length. Frame with clear proof marks. Walnut slab sided stock.
A sleeper with no restoration. All metalwork has a smooth patina. Mechanically sound. Small dings to stock but no splits and very minor shrinkage.
Empty Oak revolver or pistol case circa 1850-1870 which will take an Adams, Tranter, Webley, Bentley or small Colt revolver of the period or indeed any other revolver or percussion pistol of the period, depending upon size of the item. Case will require re-lining but is complete with original internal case edging, key, lock and keep and original key escutcheon as well as round brass escutcheon to case lid. Size internally is 5.75 inches wide, 12.25 inches long and 1.625 inches deep (147mm x 312mm x 41mm).
Case in excellent condition with no shrinkage cracks. Minimal handling marks.
A campaign cutlery barrel with silver plated folding cutlery and silver plated drinks goblet by Toulmin and Gale of London. Outer leather cover to barrel removes to reveal makers name of Toulmin and Gale , Makers, London. Goblet with folding cutlery lifts clear and hinges open for removal of goblet. Makers name repeated on inside of hinged cover. Initials of CSC to top of leather case. Folding cutlery with ivory handles consists of folding spoon, folding fork with corkscrew and a knife. The fourth item is a small medicine spoon. Folding spoon and fork are marked with makers name of William Hutton and Sons who were taken over by James Dixon. Toulmin and Gale were in business from 1735 to 1876. Size: 5" tall by 3.25" diameter.
Leather covered barrel in good shape with handling marks. Would grade up with a gentle restoration. Goblet has no dents - purchaser can decide whether to clean. Blue velvet interior to barrel is worn. Folding spoon and small spoon in good condition. The folding fork/corkscrew has a repair to the ivory handle. The knife has a crude replacement brass handle probably from the period of use but could be repaired as the folding mechanism is complete.
This sword, circa 1708 , is engraved with the name of Lieutenant General Robert Echlin, the Second Colonel of the Inniskilling Dragoons.The Royal Dragoon Guards Museum and Association raised the funds to purchase the Echlin Sword for the Regimental Museum in 2013.
A very good quality Cavalry Officers pistol by Gameson of London dated 1842. Heavy octagonal damascus twist carbine bore .650 barrel, 8" long. Front blade sight with V notched rear sight. Platinum line to breech. Engraved breech and tang matching lockplate. Captive swivel ramrod. Barrel marked GAMESON LONDON towards breech on top flat. Barrel engraving towards muzzle on top flat reads PRESENTED TO THE BEST SHOT OF THE SURREY YEOMANRY CAVALRY JUNE 1842 BY LIEUT COL THE EARL OF LOVELACE. 'Best Shot' in the regiment shooting prizes are usually rifles. It may well be that this rare cavalry officers presentation pistol was a prize for pistol shooting mounted. A very rare example of a shooting prize.
All original quality lock with engraved Dolphin hammer, matching scroll engraving to lockplate which is marked GAMESON. Silver barrel bolt escutcheons. Walnut stock with finely chequered grip. Silver escutcheon with crest of demi lion couped (unresearched). 13.75 " overall length. A real untouched sleeper. Walnut stock with original varnish has no cracks but does have normal handling marks. Good profiles around lock and reverse side. Crisp grip chequering. Wood to metal fit excellent. Even dark grey patina to all metal parts. Good lock action. Barrel has never been touched so heavy Damascus twist has etched pattern into barrel.
The Surrey Yeomanry Cavalry was raised in 1794, but disbanded in 1828. A Southwark Troop was raised in 1831 and became a full Regiment in the same year. That too was disbanded in 1848. Lieut Col The Earl of Lovelace (see engraving) was the Commanding Officer of the Surrey Yeomanry Cavalry in 1842. William King, Earl of Lovelace, was originally eighth Baron King of Ockham (1805-1893). He was created Earl of Lovelace in 1838. On 8 July 1835 he married Lord Byrons only daughter, the exceptionally gifted Ada Lovelace. She was a mathematician best known for incisive notes and comments on her close friend Charles Babbages analytical engine. The family seat of the Earl of Lovelace was at Ockham Park, but he acquired East Horsley Park, in East Horsley, a few miles to the south, in 1840. Lovelace spent thirty years transforming the building into a Rhenish Gothic castle. It was renamed Horsley Towers after he added an extraordinary tower in 1858. The building still stands at the south end of Ockham Road South. Lovelace pioneered the use of wood formed after being steamed - he reported this to the Institution of Civil Engineers and Isambard Kingdom Brunel expressed approval of Lovelace's Great Hall built in 1847 using bent beams. He had excellent bricks made and won the medal for brickmaking at the Great Exhibition of 1851. Lovelace was Lord Lieutenant of Surrey in 1840, FRS in 1841 and FICE. Lovelace rebuilt a number of buildings in the village and elsewhere in his characteristic style. He also built a number of characteristic horseshoe shaped bridges for transporting timber. Lovelace attended nearby St. Martin's Church, where he is buried in a mausoleum he had built some 20 years previously in the NE corner of the churchyard. In 1919-1926, Horsley Towers was bought by T. O. M. Sopwith, the yacht and aircraft designer.
Please note: For UK buyers only the price includes a hand coloured original woodcut engraving from The Illustrated London News dated 17 June 1854 depicting the Inspection of the Second Royal Surrey Militia at Guildford Friday 2 june 1854 Commanded by their 'noble Colonel The Earl of Lovelace. This was the re-established regiment in 1852 following disbandment of the Surrey Yeomanry Cavalry in 1848
A fine condition Enfield Pattern .577 regulation calibre Artillery Carbine by Thomas Turner of Fisher Street, Birmingham, circa 1860-1870. This 3 groove rifle undoubtedly started life as a three band Enfield pattern ordered by the Ordnance and subsequently issued to the Victoria Permanent Artillery in Australia (VPA on butt tang). The VPA were established when the British Army left the colony of Victoria in 1870, formed mainly as a Volunteer force by Melbourne residents to combat the possible threat from one of the other colonial nations of France, Germany or Russia after the British Army left. Russian aspirations in the Pacific were a particular local worry.
Like many long rifles it was probably damaged near the muzzle at some stage during its working life as proven by the clear unserviceable 'S' stamp punched over one of the barrel proof marks. With a fine bore and excellent condition otherwise, it was shortened at some stage to a two band 24" barrel artillery specification carbine retaining the mix of components of the long rifle such as the earlier forward projecting rib on the bayonet bar but with the later style foresight blade and second pattern ramrod. Sold out of service as per the barrel marks, subsequent history is not known.
Stock in excellent condition with no splits and very little bruising and minor handling marks. Good profiles around lock and sideplate. Brass furniture excellent mellow condition. Lock excellent both inside and out. Bore is sharp and near mint and would improve to mint with a clean. Barrel externally very good with some pitting as befits age and use with very clear markings. The barrel has clear proofs (with one overstamped as already mentioned) and numerous Ordnance inspectors marks. Likewise the lock internals have clear Ordnance inspectors marks. Ladder rear sight. The plain lock is in excellent condition with clear Thomas Turner, Fisher Street, Birmingham markings. Regulation brass furniture with front and rear slings fitted. Overall fine condition for age.
Thomas Turner was an excellent and innovative gunmaker. As proven by this quality rifle, he was one of the contractors to the War Department as well as being one of the founder members of the Birmingham Small Arms Trade organisation (BSA) and supplier of thousands of Enfield pattern rifles to the USA during the American Civil War.
This 1864 manufactured Starr 1863 Model Single Action Army .44 six shot revolver has an 8” rifled barrel (good bore and rifling) as opposed to the 6" issue of the Dual Action Model 1858.
Unusual as it is nickel plated which appears to be in period as there is about 20% wear in places you would expect from use. Action is good although hand spring is a little weak. Grips look to be original but are worn and well used. The rest of the revolver appears to be original as well. This nickel plated Starr Model 1863 Single Action Army .44 calibre is serial number 29725 on the frame and hammer rest with 29726 on the cylinder – not unusual to have a slight variation on numbers on these revolvers and this one is concurrent numbering. This makes this revolver in the range that were issued to regiments of Custers Michigan Brigade in early 1864 when it was manufactured. Further research is required as sources differ on serial number ranges relating to issue to specific regiments but initial internet research points to the serial number on this revolver being in the range that were issued to the 7th Michigan Cavalry who subsequently participated in the Battles of the Wilderness and the Appomattox Campaign.
The Starr revolver was the third most widely issued handgun of the US Civil War. The 1863 improved single action model was issued to Union forces from December 1863 until December 1864 with a total contract of 25,000 Starr 1863 Model revolvers that cost the US government $12.00 apiece. Production serial numbers of the Starr 1863 Single Action were from around 23000 to about 54000 so out of a very short production run of only a year from December 19th, 1863 to December 22nd, 1864, most were manufactured for the US Government.
An extremely scarce American Revolutionary War Period stepped wedge case for a pair of flintlock pistols. Red leather with brass hinged loop handle and large brass lock plate (no key) with cusped bevelled border. Old repair to leather seam/hinge at the back. Interior in original contoured lined green velvet Leather inscribed in ink ‘S Bruester Case of Pistols New York’.
The (subsequent?) owners inscription is circa 1800. The case is late 18th Century circa 1770. It is highly probable that it was used in the American Revolutionary War, 1775-1783. Cases of this nature are noted to contain the pistols in their individual cloth or soft leather bags/pouches.
25.5cm high x 10cm x 10 cm.
Note: S Bruester was Samuel Brewster (Bruester) — of New York, Member of New York State Senate Middle District, 1804-08.
Collection of Dr. Shaun Brown - Bonhams Sale no. 20801, 24 April 2013, Lot 446.
Collection of Field Marshal Sir Francis Festing G.C.B, K.B.E, D.S.O.
Acquired from Peter Dale Ltd in 1971.
Cased 80 Bore Kerr's Patent 5 shot Single Action Revolver circa 1859 marked to the 1st Sussex Artilllery Volunteers. 5.5 in. (14cm) blued octagonal sighted barrel with five groove rifling. Bore in excellent condition. Blued grooved top strap, border engraved blued frame marked 'KERR'S PATENT NO 55' with London proof marks. Strong original blueing and case hardening to barrel/frame with crisp edges, crisp proofs and engraving. Blued matching serial numbered cylinder with London proof marks - some traces of original finish. Border engraved back action lock signed 'LONDON ARMOURY. BERMONDSEY'. Plain trigger-guard with border engraved butt cap engraved '1st SUSSEX ARTILLERY VOLUNTEERS No 13'. Bright rammer with locking catch. Grips are original with some handling marks but virtually no shrinkage. In fitted oak case lined in green baize/velvet with some repairs - accessories including turnscrew, nipple wrench with pricker, a replacement double cavity brass bullet mould, a Joyce and Co cap tin, a cleaning rod with captive screw, a pewter oil bottle, a James Dixon & Sons revolver flask (some small dents but displays well) and a reproduction Eleys Percussion Cap bag with Eleys and suppliers labels. Vacant circular brass escutcheon to case lid and lock. One of the earliest known Kerr's revolvers.
A classic early/mid-19th century form of powder flask with a compressed/flattened horn body and its original brass mounts including adjustable powder measure/pouring spout measuring 25 to 35 grains of powder. With working spring with powder cut off. Retains one of the original iron suspension loops. Overall length 7.75", width at widest point 2.5". This type of flask was a more basic form of a Highland Powder Horn and was popular in the USA. Good condition, one suspension loop missing.
A Flintlock Long Fowler in Colonial Style with Carved Stock and 43.75" hexagonal .50" smooth bore barrel marked WOOLER on top flat. Dovetailed brass front sight with notched rear sight. All brass furniture consisting of trigger guard, butt plate and three ramrod pipes. Original iron ramrod. Stock with evidence of some old wormholes under barrel, crisp chequering and nicely carved apron behind tang, matching carved area around ramrod aperture. Overall length 60". This fowler is very well balanced for a long gun.
An extremely rare English Civil War period dated Main Gauche. Etched Toledo blade dated Anno 1643 with Toledo Coat of Arms on one side and etched patterns on reverse. Decorated solid hilt with twist style crossguard. Wooden grip. Blade 9", overall length 13.4", width of crossguard 6.25". This Main gauche is a very rare survivor from the English Civil War. It was found in a 16th/17th Century house in Evesham bricked up behind an airtight wall together with a Stiletto sheath and a cavalry spur. Apart from the Battle of Evesham in 1645, Charles I also stayed at Evesham so the civil war links to this Main Gauche make this rare item even more unique. Blade is stained but excellent for age with clear Toledo mark and date. Toledo Coat of Arms is less clear but present. Hilt has been reattached at some stage with what appears like hand made nails or screws. Plain grip looks original and complete but has some damage. May have had a silver wire binding in the past.
A 17th Century single steel Rowel spur complete with buttons and buckle frame on suspension loops attached to the yoke/heel band. Rowel with 8 points. An interesting item for the spur collector showing the buttons and buckle frame suspended on loops rather than an integral part of the heel frame/yoke. Damage to the 8 point Rowel and yoke.
This is an English Civil War period item circa 1640 as it was found in a 16th/17th Century house in Evesham bricked up behind an airtight wall. A Main Gauche and Stiletto sheath were also found in the same place with the Main Gauche blade dated 1643 (Main Gauche and Stiletto sheath available separately but we would prefer to sell these items together as they were found). Apart from the Battle of Evesham in 1645, Charles I also stayed at Evesham so the civil war links make this an interesting but not overly valuable item. It is likely that the spur is even older than 1640 however there is no way to tell how long passed between its manufacture and its storage within the wall in Evesham.
Historic Arms Gallery - Redruth, Cornwall
Email 💻 firstname.lastname@example.org
Call Us ☎️ 07720 871133
Copyright © 2019 Historic Arms Gallery
Website Design by Historic Arms Gallery